TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index TSN.SaturnWiki.net
An archive of the old turbosaturns.net board
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme newbie questions about nitrous

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
...






PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Extreme newbie questions about nitrous Reply with quote

I've been consuming all I can about nitrous on these boards. I came into it thinking that people that run nitrous are insane and only seek to destroy their cars, but boy have my opinions changed. I've decided that nitrous is the safest and easiest way to add boost to my Saturn after reading all the posts. Anyway, I have some questions that may seem pretty basic, and since I don't completely understand nitrous, they may not be worded correctly, but please try the best you can to understand and feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.

1. I guess that a 50 shot means 50 horsepower, how is this regulated or set by the system?

2. I assume that the WOT switch is the equivelent to all the steering wheel mounted buttons you see in movies (2F2F, etc), now does this work like you press the button once and it boosts you for a preset amount of time, like one press = one boost, or do you hold down for as long as you want the boost to last?

3. What all comes in the NX EFI ALL GM kit? Parts I'm not sure that come with it but I would like to have are a purge kit and a fuel pressure guage and cut off. If these don't come with the kit, can someone send me in the direction to get some quality parts in this catagory.

4. If I install a fuel pressure cut off, is there any way to test it before my car's life depends on it?

5. Say the fuel solenoid breaks and pure nitrous is injected into the system, will a fuel pressure cut off save my car?

6. I have an automatic, and I've read that people have no problems running nitrous on them... whats the opinion on this.. I was going to sell it and buy the same model with a manual transmission, but I just can't part with the car =/

Anyone that can help out it would be much appreciated... I'm just trying to get educated before I jump into the world of car performance beyond bolt-on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
poc301






PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Extreme newbie questions about nitrous Reply with quote

mastershake82 wrote:


1. I guess that a 50 shot means 50 horsepower, how is this regulated or set by the system?



Yes. 50 shot = 50hp. There are jets in the nozzle that screws into the intake. One jet regulates fuel and the other nitrous. On a dry kit, it just regulates nitrous.

mastershake82 wrote:

2. I assume that the WOT switch is the equivelent to all the steering wheel mounted buttons you see in movies (2F2F, etc), now does this work like you press the button once and it boosts you for a preset amount of time, like one press = one boost, or do you hold down for as long as you want the boost to last?


The switch either mounts on the throttle body or on the gas pedal. Once the gas pedal is floored, the switch activates, turning on the system. This will keep spraying as long as the gas is floored (which is why you have an arming switch, so the WOT switch only works when you want the system armed).

mastershake82 wrote:

3. What all comes in the NX EFI ALL GM kit? Parts I'm not sure that come with it but I would like to have are a purge kit and a fuel pressure guage and cut off. If these don't come with the kit, can someone send me in the direction to get some quality parts in this catagory.


The purge and pressure cut off systems and gauge are all sold separately. Various places sell them.

mastershake82 wrote:

4. If I install a fuel pressure cut off, is there any way to test it before my car's life depends on it?


I don't know of any.

mastershake82 wrote:

5. Say the fuel solenoid breaks and pure nitrous is injected into the system, will a fuel pressure cut off save my car?


I don't believe so. I believe the pressure sensor only senses if the pump dies and looses pressure to the fuel system. Not just the fuel solenoid.

mastershake82 wrote:

6. I have an automatic, and I've read that people have no problems running nitrous on them... whats the opinion on this.. I was going to sell it and buy the same model with a manual transmission, but I just can't part with the car =/


Autos work great. Some spray during shifts, and some don't. Its up to you. But having an auto won't keep you from spraying at all.

Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
...






PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative reply.

Thanks for your time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
S.Bretz






PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to test the fuel cut off switch, you can wire the thing in, but don't hook it to the fuel line yet. take the n2o line off, so that it won't spray into the intake. Try to activate the system. Did come on? If no, then it is working. If yes, then you screwed something up; start over.

If it is working, continue to hook up the pressure switch to the fuel line. Let the line build pressure, the try activating the system again. Did it spray? Yes... it is working, No...you screwed up; start over. It is easier with a friend inside the car activating the system and you watching the hose (don't point them at yout face... point them away).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
graniteguy






PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turn the key on but don't start the car. This will pressurize the fuel system. turn the nitrous system on an press the pedal to the floor to activate the WOT switch. You'll here the solenois click. It will click on and then off (almost instantaneous) because the fuel pressure drops. If it clicks when you lift off the wot switch, then it's not working, the system stayed on with no fuel pressure. Just have the car off and the bottle closed. You'll get a little spurt of gas in the intake, but no big deal. Easy stuff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
...






PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this post has answered my every question about nitrous
thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nefarious






PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
don't point them at yout face... point them away


haha, thats great advice

work smarter not harder

and save yourself a trip to the ER with N20 inspired frost bite injuries
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abe






PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mastershake. You've got a PM Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group