TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index TSN.SaturnWiki.net
An archive of the old turbosaturns.net board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nitrous+cams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:42 am    Post subject: Nitrous+cams Reply with quote

Is anyone using aftermarket cams w/ nitrous?Just wondering how it would work cause to get the most out of the cams u need to lean out the fuel,and nitrous u need lots of fuel.Any pointers would be great!
SC2Sick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk to the SDA guys.
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure or Chrispel,but any and all advce is great right now
Tom01SC2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Raises hand*

Tom
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hows that working 4 u?Any downside to using the combo?
UnderdogSDA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrous and cams can be tricky, it can also be super simple. Alot depends on how you will be controlling fuel, if with a SAFC2, then you can have 2 diffrent fuel maps (one for N/A, one for nitrous). mega squirt and better will be able to do the same as well.

Another option is to run a larger size fuel jet than what the kit calls for.

one more option is to get the car tuned but stay away fro lean A/F ratios. For example I ran the 14.4 all motor untuned (just the auto computer and factory adj. regulator turned down a bit) in the red car, I then used a 75 shot of NX with the standard jets and ran the 13.3. I didnt break anything.

I tried the same thing after being tuned with the SAFC2, but we only had the N/A map, it was obviousily too lean, thats when we broke stuff.
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool after i get a WB 02 ill get the S-AFC2,then head and cams,then the spray.Just trying to avoid detonation Shocked
UnderdogSDA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well on top of other things to help that you may know of already- 1 or 2 step colder spark plugs, premium gas, removing any kind of sharp or rough edges in or on the combustion chamber or piston...stuff like that
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Nefarious said i should ditch my NGK iridium plugs,i think they're good iridium is the strongest spark plug so far i can find
Tom01SC2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't respond last night, I was a little busy. Right now my car isn't tuned with the cams, so it is running pretty rich unfortunately. However, I have and still do spray on it. Pulls pretty damn hard on the top end, but I know leaning it out will improve it quiet a bit.

My plan is tune with the SAFCII N/A. Then tune with the 75 shot, or at least make sure I'm not denotating with the 75 shot with my tune. But like Underdog said, you can always run the next step up jet for fuel. Better safe than sorry...

Tom
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice,thats what i wanted to hear.Just need to figure out my plugs now
Nefarious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, time to buzz in

screw cams and nos, go port and polish, but for those hard heads, here we go

stock cams = lower duration = less flow = more pressure (especially up in the power band )

what does pressure have to do with it?
well, alot, nitrous hits the mota at a very high PSI, meanwhile the car is pulling in its own air, so what happens is, I've seen rich conditions because the valve flow isn't spec'd for anything but stock driving conditions and a narrow band A/F which makes it worse, so leaning out in my opinion isn't the issue at hand when considering using a more aggressive cam with nitrous

higher duration = better flow IN and OUT

ive used 2 sets of cams with nitrous and have seen that they wont build any more power than stock cams (IM TALKING ABOUT WITH NITROUS) (now this in inconclusive because i dont have dyno proof, but believe me the feel is all I need to support this) its the delivery thats the shocker--when you spray the higher duration cams will quickly pull in and exhaust the gases compared to stock, not resulting in horsepower increase, you'll see a big acceleration increase

when used with a stock head, cams wont pull in more air, they just process it faster

i wont even reccomend which cams to use bla bla bla since hardly anyone is willing to do this right, and utilize some sort of fuel contorl/ WB02 and Dyno time

just go with a ported and polished head

tune with wideband

i have jet lag so excuse me if its alittle confusing
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the clarification
Tom01SC2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I dropped my cams in with the P&P head. So I can't really tell you what helped out more. All I know is it likes to rev up a lot easier and 7k rpm shifts are very smooth with it. I wish I knew the specs on my cams, but the maker wouldn't release them. They aren't wild by any means, but have a very nice, loud, and deep lobe to them.

A few members here have ridden in my car with me spraying, they can vouch that the sucker really starts to scoot. But I'm thinking it'll be a lot better once she is tuned...

Tom
UnderdogSDA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom01SC2 wrote:
Well I dropped my cams in with the P&P head. So I can't really tell you what helped out more. All I know is it likes to rev up a lot easier and 7k rpm shifts are very smooth with it. I wish I knew the specs on my cams, but the maker wouldn't release them. They aren't wild by any means, but have a very nice, loud, and deep lobe to them.

Tom

Ditto, I have only used cams and a P+P head together with nitrous

Except on my old 99 blue SC2, I ran a 75 shot with bolt ons only
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: