TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index TSN.SaturnWiki.net
An archive of the old turbosaturns.net board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct port
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then ill hook up 4- 10 shot jets
Tom01SC2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Cleen wrote:
Then ill hook up 4- 10 shot jets

Hey man, let me explain this to you in an easier way. Direct port is like a bigger turbo. It needs to run a larger shot, like a bigger turbo needs to see more psi's to be effective. You wouldn't want a T4 turbo and say run 3-5 psi's on it. Just like you wouldn't get a DP kit and run less than a 75 shot. Not doable...

Tom
JGreen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok if u spray a small amount then u will be wasting gas and nitrous and one jet will get mor then another and start to fry things man dp is made for 100 shot or higher
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,since DP is safer and tuneable will it be ok to throw on a 75 shot the 1st time?What i mean is have any u had problems on the 1st round?
graniteguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tech line is 940-767-7694

I started with a direct port from Fonzo (for those of you that remember him). First test and the motor just hit the brakes. Major detonation. 1 sparkplug totally broke but surpprisingly no engine damage. I called tech and went over the system. They're like- "the kit can't do 75hp". Me- "I bought the kit with these jet settings. They said- "oh, i see. to do THAT you have to lower the fuel pressure to the solenoid to around 10 psi or it won't work."

That one little statement caused a bunch of problems. My beautifull wiring job went to shit.

The FP cutoff switch was mounted to the "in" side of the fuel solenoid. This wasn't gonna work now that the fuel pressure had to be lowered. There are two FP switches, carbed and efi, since the pressures are different.

I bipassed the cut off switch, got a holley blue pressure regulator with a fuel pressure guage mounted to it. I hooked the sytem back up minus the fp cutoff switch and minus a WOT switch.

My brilliance showed as I was gonna run the system for 3 seconds, shut the car down, then check my spark plugs. After the previous deal I was very timid with the system.

So back to my brilliance. I tell my son to hold the wot switch in his hand and NOT let go. I would flip the master switch on/off which is in my hand. I run the car for 3 seconds or so and it came alive! It flat went!

So it's time to let off and coast and check the plugs. I drop the arming switch out of my hand intentionally. I thought I was holding the WOT switch, not the master switch so I thought when I let go, the switch turned itself off. My son did his part and kept the wot switch on.

I turn the key off and am coasting. Before the car came to a stop BBOOOOOOMMM!!! The shot heard around the world. I looked in the rearview mirror as I seriously thought my engine was laying on the ground. No engine on the road. I open the hood and the plastic intake is shattered. I manage to drive it to the house while it idled at 3500 rpm or so with no torque whatsoever.

Lucky again, no damage at all except for the intake manifold ($75 at a wrecking yard). What happened if you haven't figured it out is that the nitrous kept pumping into the intake manifold after I shut the engine down. Fuel sprayed also until the pressure in the line was depleted. The mixture hit something that was hot and it exploded.

My first business was to replace the intake manifold which I did. Once it was on and running I had no ambition to take the manifold back off and redrill it for the direct port.

I re-installed the kit as a single fogger using the proper jets and getting rid of that danged holley blue fuel pressure regulator that lowers the pressure to 10 psi. I used one of the nozzles from the direct port . (after hooking up the wot switch correctly) I went to the track and ran a 15.3 or so (automatic).

i get home and see that the nozzle had turned in the intake tube and it wasn't heading towards the TB. Rats! I drive to Nitrous Daves in Waco and pick up the nozzle that has a nut to it. I install it and up the HP to 54 instead of 50 and I go to the track.

14.73! Cool. That's respectable. Solarnoize from Saturnspeed is talking wth me and we meet up in San Antonio to race. I nail a 14.63 there. Cool! I finally got it done.

I start on a s-10 project (will be 12.9 - 13.2 with nitrous). I am not willing to make the sacrifice to the Saturn to go any faster than it is. I run the s-10 and it is 16.6. I start to gutting it and take it to the track. 15.77. I switch from efi to an edelbrock carb and I no longer have a working transmission (it works off the computer and the computer has been ripped out of the truck by ME. I have the local transmission guru install a new automatic 700r4 with a B&M ratchet shifter. I take it to the track and I have a 2.6 60' and a high 16 run.

I go back next week and let some air out of the tires and run a 16.11 with a 2.37 60' time.

I install cheap autozone traction bars and put my fiberglass bed cover back on and I run 15.01 with a 2.08 60' time. The transmission is shifting at 5,000 rpm even when I manually shift it.

I meet the tranny guy in my parking lot and he changes the governer spring? and now I can manually shift up to 6000 rpm.

I buy a carb adapter plate and hook the same nitrous kit to the carb plate under the carburetor at a 125HP shot. Once I am at 14.6 to 14.8 n/a the nitrous gets turned on. Yes the WOT switch is mounted along with an msd rpm window switch. high 12's is very realistic with this set up.

So why all the ranting and storytelling? I took the same kit and installed it as a direct port, reinstalled it as a single fogger, and reinstalled as a carb plate low psi system.

With the exception of my WOT switch fiasco, which is on me, the problems come into play when you start asking questions or relying on advice from forums or the people you buy the kit from. No disrespect, but a single fogger guy is not gonna know to lower the fuel to 10 psi on a 75 direct port kit. They don't know because they don't need to know. Heck, the guy that sold me the kit, who was the "nitrous guru" on many Saturn forums, either did not know or did not tell me. It was not in the instructions since he "invented" this kit on his own and NX did not support the use of it.

Wow! I'm done. Here's a pic of my s-10. Watcha think? It's a 94 and used to have a/c, heater, power steering, and fender wells. Very Happy

graniteguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Cleen wrote:
Ok,since DP is safer and tuneable will it be ok to throw on a 75 shot the 1st time?What i mean is have any u had problems on the 1st round?

How is a 75 shot direct port gonna be safer than a 35 - 50 shot single fogger shot?
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graniteguy wrote:
Mr.Cleen wrote:

How is a 75 shot direct port gonna be safer than a 35 - 50 shot single fogger shot?

This what i was wondering.In the end the wet kit will be fine 4 now but i buy the nozzles and stuff later to change it to direct port.The truck's engine looks different than the 1st time i saw it!
graniteguy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some more pics:

Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool man
Nefarious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news, i've spoken with some guru's at Dyno Tune, and the way it was explained was what i believe Tom said about it being overkill, well, to run smaller shots there is a coversion table they are working on in order to control fuel needs vs nitrous injected for a direct port MPI 4 cyl Very Happy it goes by fuel pressure/desired shot/injector flow, i've been up their ass trying to get the board a solution, so stand by
Nefarious

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its based off the principles behind direct port kits on motorcycles

high fuel pressure but low shots

it pretty much comes down to jet selection
Mr.Cleen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wait everybody Laughing
graniteguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 35 shot direct port kit will never be on the market.

Do yourself a favor and get a gm universal kit from NX and be done with this.
Nefarious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

why dont you shut up, and let him decide
graniteguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nefarious wrote:
Quote:

why dont you shut up, and let him decide

Decide on a kit that's not available and won't be? There is nothing to decide. That's the whole point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: