TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index TSN.SaturnWiki.net
An archive of the old turbosaturns.net board

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

running learn on a 75hp shot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: running learn on a 75hp shot Reply with quote

also i was goofing with the 75 shot on the highway and i am running lean. but i went back to the 50 shot. i was fine. i then put the 75 back in.. thinking.. it was something stupid.. (so i purged the line and checked the fuel) everything seemed ok so i again shot the 75.. and i was running lean... so i think either the weiner 97 sl1 fuel pump cant keep up with the fuel needed to run the injectors, and 75 shot. at WOT doing 60mph+.. even off the line its lean....

i think it might be my fuel filter god know when hte last time i did that.. probally 2-3 years ago.. if not nmore...

i was told by a buddy of mine with a 96 sl1 that there is somewhere you can addjust the fuel pressure.. pressure ?? is that true?

i was thining of running a larger fuel jet to see if that will help with the fuel .. but i sense its somewhere else.. the problem.

i checked for the fuel pump recal they had for my model and year and they said my fuel pump wasnt part of the recall at the saturn garage.

anyone got a clue before i start spending $$?

gonna fix the nozzle first then find this othe rproblem.. hehe i want the 75...

nx gm efi kit
97 sl1 automatic
poc301

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going by your A/F gauge, don't. Its crap and doesn't accurately reflect your A/F under boost situations. If it says lean, you could be running rich. Trust me, I know. That is how I blew my 1st motor. Narrowband o2 = crap (I'm assuming you are using narrowband and not wideband). If you are running wideband, then try a larger fuel jet. The fuel pump should be plenty strong enough. You could also change the fuel fiilter if you like.

Anyways, to get a REAL test of if you are running lean or rich, do this :

1) Idle the car for 3-4 minutes or so.
2) Drive out to some out-of-the-way country road or something where nobody else will be around.
3) Drive the car, and spray the 75hp shot from gear 2 through 4.
4) As SOON as you near the end of 4th gear, TURN OFF THE NITROUS and then quickly shut the car off and coast it to a stop at the side of the road.
5) Pop the hood and pull all 4 spark plugs out.
6) Examine each individual plug. Make sure they are all black (which means you are running rich). If any of them are chalky or milky it means that cylinder is running lean. If you see any that have white specks on them, you are detonating, and should not spray any more until you figure out the problem.

Let us know what it looks like, but again, 75hp shouldn't be too much for the fuel system. I ran it for a while with no problem on my ride, and I have the less-powerful returnless system.
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright yi shall do that after i fix the stupid nozzle thing i broke.. (damnit lol)

i'll change the fuel filter after to see if thats what it is.. after to see if it will help me.

so why would the heated narrow band 02/ a/f show i am running lean on when i am running rich?.. thats pretty gay.. or is it so much fuel being dumped in that it gets confused and says.. umm... um... lean.. NO.. NO rich.. umm Lean. ya lean... ??.. arg..

ok i shall try your idea Mr. nitrous god.

thanks bill
poc301

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Narrowband o2 sensors only reflect accurate readings (well.. mostly accurate) with the 14.7 AFR range. When you are running forced induction, your extended mixture throws it off.

With a wet kit, you are spraying nitrous and fuel into the intake. Our intake manifolds are dry manifolds, meaning they aren't designed to distribute fluids to the various cylinders. Due to this, every time you spray each cylinder is going to get slightly different mixtures of fuel and nitrous than the other. Our o2 bungs are only reading 2 of the 4 cylinders if you have a header. This means that 2 of the 4 cylinders are being monitored. The other 2 (or even those 2 with a narrowband) are not able to be read accurately. So you want to always pull your plugs every now and again and check the coloration.

Direct port is better in this regard, because each individual cylinder is getting a specific and equal amount of fuel.
TheSaturnKid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running the manifold or a 02 thats welded after all 4 primaries merge, make sure you arent feeding the pcm off the same o2 sensor.

In short, get an independent o2 sensor for your gauge.
ReKlAwEeLmAdA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about runnin' a wet 50? I'm thinkin' about doin' that, what are some percausions?
TheSaturnKid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the stickies, we all run wet setups.
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run the 50 shot and its no problem.. i run a little rich and its fine.

and btw i checked myplugs. and they are fine. a little black/brown ish in color. and a little red.

so.. i think they are fine. i havent fixed the nozzle. so i wont know how it will be after. but th eplugs now are a blackish/brown/ red (was driving for 10 mins then stoped and checked them)
hustler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea but did you check ur plugs directly after having sprayed, or just normal driving?
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well everything i fixed and i've been spraying with the 75 shot. and its fine. checked the plugs and etc. same results. i had a huge miss fire in #4... stupid crappy wires. got better ones free thru warrantee so that solved that problem. otherwise the 75 shot is great. i went thru a bottle in a week 1/2 with the 75 and no problems.. except my tranny acts up here and there.. when i floor it it fees like it wants to stall..
Bigbadbert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre not purging before you spray and the lines been open for awhile, that could cause it to feel like it wants to stall, or to bog. It just takes it a sec to get to the good stuff.....then weeee.
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is when i dont hit the no2.. only in first gear.. it does it. and i never spray in first gear.. until i reach 3000rpms.. so... no clue.. i'm hoping its nothing just something stupid..
graniteguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POC, I wouldn't tell anyone to run from 2nd gear up if the a/f guage (cheapie or not) is showing lean. Think about it.
Rear-Vue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my engine hasn't blow up (knocks on wood) and my plugs were fine the standard black/brown color/tan so its running normal on the 75 shot.
poc301

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graniteguy wrote:
POC, I wouldn't tell anyone to run from 2nd gear up if the a/f guage (cheapie or not) is showing lean. Think about it.

NB gauges suck so bad that its probably not right anyways. They should pull plugs to check it after a run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TSN.SaturnWiki.net Forum Index -> Nitrous Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: